Subject: Re: SAS/C debugger good or not???
From: [email-masked] (Steve Krueger)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 15:15:32 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Harri Pesonen) writes:
>Richard Johnson ([email-masked]) wrote:
>
>Yes.  CPR would be much better if it had the following features:
>
>o  automatic display of the function arguments and local variables

CPR can display all the function arguments with the ARGS command.

>o  ability to display a given function in the source window

CPR has this ability with the SHOW command. I just checked the doc,
and it's not in there, I don't know why it got left out. Anyway,
heres the syntax:

 SHOW [\module\][function] [line_number]
 
Here's some examples:

 show main
 show \test.c
 show \test.c\main 10
 show 50

>o  ability to display external variables and structures, even if the
    variable is not defined in the current module

This was a design implementation decision. CPR is able to display anything
that the C program is able to access in a given module. If we made it
search the entire EXE, you might get a very long delay if you misspelled
the name of the variable you were trying to display. You can display
a variable in another module with full debug info, if you give a context
to search in. For example

display \test.c\foo\a

will go to module test.c, function foo, and start the search for variable 'a'.
If 'a' is a global variable in that module, CPR will diplay it.

>o  automatic breakpoint save and restore

You can do this now with the bd and be commands (break disable and break enable).
Just set the breakpoint normal. Use BD to turn it off, and BE to turn it
back on. The same functionality exists for watch breaks.

>o  ability to watch a pointer as a zero terminated string

That would be nice. There is no way to do this currently.